Monday, July 19, 2010

Fried food is okay to eat at breakfast time - because it's the most important meal of the day!

I think Winter has made me cross over to the dark side.  You want to eat food that is comforting, that sticks to your ribs and warms your insides.  It is always okay to eat like a bear preparing for hibernation at Winter time!

I went to a cafe last week with the intention of just having a coffee and to sit and read the paper.  Until I heard the waitress tell the diners at the table next to me the breakfast special.  When she came back to my table to ask me if there was anything else I wanted, I said 'Umm... did I hear a little something about french toast and grilled banana?... and I better have another coffee, please!'  The special was French toast brioche, with grilled banana and honey ricotta.  It really hit the spot.


Of course I had to replicate this dish at home.  Here is my version.

French toast with grilled banana and honey ricotta - inspired by my brunch at Canteen, Noosa Junction.

3 slices bread (challah and brioche are ideal)
1-2 bananas, sliced length ways
1 egg
1/2 tsp sugar
splash milk
pinch cinnamon
2-3 tbs smooth ricotta
honey to taste
maple syrup

Mix egg, sugar, cinnamon and milk to make a custard.  Drop your bread into the mixture and coat well, allowing the custard to soak into the bread a little.  While bread is soaking, cook your bananas.  Heat a non-stick fry pan and add a knob of butter.  Place bananas into pan and cook until golden on both sides.  Set aside.  Place bread into the fry pan and cook cook each side until golden.  Mix ricotta and honey.  Transfer bread to serving plate and add a dollop of ricotta and top with banana.  Drizzle with maple syrup.

I don't think there is anything more to add, other than to eat, with joy in your heart! (and maybe run around the block a few times afterward!)

Until next time...

Kitty xx

No comments:

Post a Comment