Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Summer Picnic / Anytime Picnic

I don't know what it is about picnics, but they make me feel so nostalgic.  I love filling up my wicker basket and going off on a local adventure.  I recently bought an old Thermos Flask from my local Op Shop.  It is old and its green and I love the Retro feel I get even just by looking at it.  (I just want to tie on a silk scarf, jump into my Karmann Ghia and drive up the coast!)


I guess when it comes to things like picnics, tea parties or just tea for me I can't help but be a bit of a fuddy duddy.  I love using all my silly little nick knacks and accouterments - serving on pretty plates and drinking out of pretty cups, sitting on a tartan rug with a cosy blanket on hand just in case it might rain...


It is fun.  I think it is the food stylist in me (or 1950's housewife) just begging to get out.  If you are going to eat, entertain, or just enjoy time on your own, why not let it be a chic or luxe event? 


My picnic was down by the beach, Rainbow Beach in fact.  The weather was a little inclement, so I was sure to pack accordingly.  The food was simple - a cold platter of deli meats and cheese, olives, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and a fresh sourdough Vienna loaf.  I had some left over apple tea cake which went down really well with my thermos of coffee (I was so glad that after 5 hours my coffee was still hot!  $3 well invested!).


It was a beautiful day, despite the weather, and I was able to even get down to the beach to play in the sand for a little while.


Too soon it was time to go home.  But I know there will be other Sundays...


Until next time...

Kitty xx

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a Beautiful place for a picnic!!! Being in a land-locked state away from the ocean, I never would have thought of a picnic on the beach!

    Can I come next time!?

    Love the combination of casual and elegance (tea cups).

    ReplyDelete