Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas 2012


I love Christmas.  I never really used to, but after my first trip to America, which included both Christmas and New Year in New York, I am smitten.  If there were ever a time you didn't feel Christmassy, a trip to New York is the cure.  Or in my case, the catalyst for me falling in love with it all over again.  

I guess its the whole idea of a 'White Christmas', the snow, the Rockefeller Plaza Tree (check out cheesey me!), Bloomingdales, Macy's and movies where shoppers hustle and Santa rings a bell and you drink hot toddies and cocoa is something that you can actually drink without breaking out into a sweat in December in the Northern Hemisphere.


As it is Summer here in Australia, I tend to feel a little ridiculous, singing Christmas Carols about snow, the weather being 'frightful' and fires inside being 'delightful'.  Especially when its while I am sweltering with the oven on, trying to get my Christmas baking done.


As I have spent 3 Christmas's in New York now, I tend to feel a little 'homesick' around this time of year.  Especially homesick for the cooler weather!  I guess the good thing about Christmas in Australia is we don't have the tradition of the 'Ugly Christmas Sweater'.  To cure my blues, I bust out a bit (or in my case a lot) of decorating.  It always makes me feel good. 

 
My tiny little house is abundant with Christmas decorations and vignettes.  This year, I have tried to exercise elegant restraint, keeping to a colour theme of red, silver and gold.  It is hard to hold back, with so many great decorations, lights and garlands that you can dress up your home with.  Outside is not spared, with rows and rows of coloured lights clinging to the gutters and trees, along with some inflatable Santa's friends have kindly loaned out. 


Christmas also sparks my creative side.  I love being resourceful and making something out of 'nothing'.  My star (above) was just 5 pickets I found in my backyard from some over-the-fence construction which I got help to nail together (I am a designer, not an engineer) and I strung some lights around for some extra sparkle.


My tree is my miniature interpretation of the Macy's tree in San Francisco.  (I adore this tree, even more than the Rock Centre tree!).  I love the look of red against the green.  I also add to my tree each year, new decorations from my travels.  It is ever evolving and always different.

I have always wanted to learn how to do origami.  However, I have absolutely no patience.  Somehow I taught myself how to make some origami stars.  I was determined to make a garland out of them, and by the sixth star, I was a pro! 

 
I thought it would be fun to make a buffet table out of a sofa table I kind of made/re purposed from another project (which is another story in itself).  I had an old window which was a perfect fit to lay on top and underneath the glass I have scattered old Polaroids and photos from Christmas's past.  As Mum and Dad will be here for Christmas Dinner, I hope they enjoy the nostalgia of it.  Oh yes, more little lights underneath to give it a little razzle-dazzle!


I think the whole fuss I make wears poor Nugget out. 


As mentioned, my Mum and Dad will be coming for lunch this year and it will just be us, as the rest of my family are all spread out and it is difficult for us to come together.  I just plan to set a nice table and make a simple roast dinner this year.  We will be having chicken, pork and ham.  Mum and Dad are bringing the plum pudding, while I made Tiramisu (I can't help myself!).  As for gifts, we have decided on just a very small present each for under the tree.


I would like to think of the day as more an 'attitude of gratitude' than the whole ridiculous commerical blowout.  It is a little rustic, a lot hand made and a whole lot of love.  It will be nice to be able to spend the day with my Mum and Dad and to spoil them with a lovely meal, made by me. 


I hope everyone has a really great Christmas.  Please be safe and be good to each other. 


Until next time...

Kitty xx

1 comment:

  1. Kely,

    I think your place looks great! And you definitely get into the "Christmas Spirit" more than I do. Thanks for such a fun post!

    I hope you and yours have a Very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete